Duct cleaning is definitely something to consider as one part of a larger strategy to improve air quality in your Dallas home. Start by considering this: All the air in your home circulates through your ductwork about seven times each day. Whatever’s in your ducts may also be in each of the 28,000 breaths you take every day. Nevertheless, procedures for cleaning your ducts aren’t called for in every case and not everyone marketing the service is qualified to properly evaluate the ductwork in your home. Homeowners should take care to contract with reliable, established HVAC professionals to assess the condition of ducts and get the job done right.
Here are a few scenarios where your home may benefit from duct cleaning:
- Is mold visibly observed growing in the interior of the ducts or elsewhere in the airflow of the heating and cooling system? Samples should be taken and tested to confirm the existence of mold and to determine what type of mold is present for proper use of biocides during cleaning.
- Is the ductwork currently, or has it ever been, infiltrated by insects, rodents or other vermin?
- Have the ducts been exposed to water contamination from any source such as floods, plumbing leaks, condensation overflows or roof leaks in the attic?
- When the system is running, can dust or other debris be observed emitting from registers in living spaces?
NADCA, the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, standardizes cleaning practices and techniques. NADCA has also issued specific guidelines for recommending the procedure to homeowners. NADCA recommends the following guidelines for professional duct cleaning:
- Cleaning under negative pressure to avoid contamination of the home.
- Avoiding excessive or unnecessary cuts to access ductwork.
- Utilizing EPA-approved biocides to treat mold.
- HEPA filtration on discharge ports of all duct vacuum equipment.
- Vacuuming must be accompanied by agitation such as gentle brushing to ensure adequate cleaning.
AirRite Heating & Air Conditioning has served the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex since 1955. Contact us for a competent, trustworthy evaluation before you decide on duct cleaning for your home.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the Fort Worth and Arlington, Texas area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about duct cleaning and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
Powered by WPeMatico