Solar energy is increasingly of interest to Dallas-Fort Worth homeowners as their energy bills rise by leaps and bounds this year. Fortunately, Texas is a sunny state and readily available solar energy can help you stretch your energy dollars.
There are three primary types of solar systems available:
- Passive solar energy warms homes directly. Homeowners choosing this option will place large windows and glass-enclosed spaces on the south side of their residence so that the sun’s energy will be absorbed in the house. Passive systems do not require any special equipment or effort to operate, but they are only viable in homes specifically designed for this purpose.
- Solar photovoltaic converts sunlight into electricity that is then used to warm either the home or hot water. Photovoltaic units consist of between one and 20 silicon panels that contain approximately 40 photovoltaic cells per panel. These panels are placed in areas where they can collect large quantities of sunlight that is filtered through a semiconductor within the photovoltaic cells. This generates an electrical current which is then transferred to appliances within the home.
- Solar water heating takes solar energy and uses it to warm water directly. Consisting of a collector and a storage tank, the system pumps water through tubing, which is then warmed as it passes over a solar collector plate. Once warmed, it is then deposited into a modified storage tank designed to keep the water from cooling down.
Now that you understand the types of solar energy systems, it’s time to look at the advantages of installing them:
- Solar energy is clean, renewable, and once your initial investment is recovered, practically free.
- Solar panels do not generate emissions that pollute the air.
- Dallas-Fort Worth receives approximately 250 days of sunshine a year, and even on cloudy days, solar panels continue to generate electricity.
- There are plenty of state and federal tax credits available for solar energy installations.
If you would like to learn more about the viability of solar energy in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, give AirRite Air Conditioning Company, Inc. a call. We will be glad to provide a free home evaluation to see if Solar is a viable option for you to consider. Since 1955, we’ve provided the very best energy efficiency solutions in the area.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the Fort Worth and Arlington, Texas area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about solar and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
Powered by WPeMatico