Upgrading your A/C system is an investment, so getting the most for your money when choosing your new A/C equipment is important. Given the long, hot and humid cooling season in the greater Fort Worth and Arlington area, you’ll want be sure that your A/C has what it takes to face that challenge without driving your energy costs through the roof.
Five features worth considering for when you’re upgrading your A/C are:
- Efficiency: Seasonal energy efficiency ratio (SEER), a comparison of seasonal energy consumption versus cooling output, will help give you some indication of the air conditioner’s efficiency under ideal conditions. The higher the SEER, the less energy the unit will use to cool your home and the lower your utility bills will be. New air conditioners are required to have a SEER of at least 13, while high-efficiency A/Cs carry a SEER of 16-23. To give you a frame of reference, many older systems are rated as low as 6.
- Compressor: This is the most expensive component in any A/C system and the one that works the hardest. Look for dual-stage compressors that conserve energy by running at low capacity during milder weather and high capacity when temperatures rise.
- Variable speeds: Variable speed fan and blower motors automatically adjust airflow according to cooling demand. When temperatures rise, these motors will run at high speed, increasing airflow from the air handler and condenser fan. In milder weather conditions, they’ll run at low speed, using less energy to keep your home comfortable.
- Thermal expansion valve: Thermal expansion valves increase the efficiency of A/C systems significantly by adjusting the amount of refrigerant flowing through the system according to need.
- Refrigerant type: Older refrigerants like R-22 are being phased out, so look for systems that use newer, safer, more environmentally-friendly refrigerants such as R-410A.
Since most homeowners aren’t A/C experts, consulting one is wise when you’re making choices about upgrading your A/C. AirRite Air Conditioning Company can help. We’ve been serving the Forth Worth and Arlington areas since 1955, so you can rest assured that we’ll help you choose the right equipment to keep you comfortable for many years to come.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about upgrading your a/c and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
AirRite Air Conditioning services the greater Fort Worth and Arlington area. Visit our website to see our current promotions and get started today!
Powered by WPeMatico